Saturday, May 9, 2020

Review: Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

Unearthly
By: Cynthia Hand



Series: Unearthly Trilogy
Genre: Paranormal, Young Adult, Fantasy
Length: 435 pages
Synopsis From Goodreads:

In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees...
Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.

Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place and out of place at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side.

As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make between honesty and deceit, love and duty, good and evil. When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny?

Unearthly is a moving tale of love and fate, and the struggle between following the rules and following your heart.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My Review:
Rating:
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

During my college years I had a huge obsession with the angel world. Two of my favorites books were Fallen by Lauren Kate and Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick. So when I discovered Unearthly it was an instant purchase, between the angelic cover and the tempting premise what more could one want. However, as time passed and my college days ended - the real world opened up before me and it was time to adult - many of my college books became pushed to the side and forgotten. New and different genres waltzed in making it easier for those books to continue sitting on my shelf unread. 

But after buying a new house and having to do some serious book purging I was able to create a pile of books long forgotten with the intent to finally read and review. Unearthly found its way into this pile and honestly I did not have high hopes, over the years my interest in its premise dwindled. However, once I cracked open the cover and started chapter one I was hooked and flying through the pages. 

Clara Gardner has a purpose, to save a mysterious boy who she comes to know as Christian Prescott. The handsome popular boy at her new school in Wyoming. Thanks to her visions her mom has moved her and her brother, Jeffery to a small rural town so Clara can fulfill her destiny. 

But Clara runs into some unexpected problems along the way; another angel-blood like her, Black Wings and Tucker Avery (her new best friend's brother). She never intended to fall in love but after a summer hiking and fishing with the rustic, gentlemanly Tucker Avery, Clara finds herself in love and struggling over her destiny. 

Cynthia Hand has put together an intriguing and captivating world of angels, both pure and fallen. A world that sucks you in and has you eager to discover more. I didn't expect to enjoy this book as much as I did. The characters felt so real, it was easy to struggle along with Clara and experience her emotions right alongside her. 

This book was fast-paced and had me on the edge of my seat. So many unexpected twists and turns at the end. So many questions I need answered. Book 2 has been ordered and I can't wait for it to get here, I am ready to jump right in. 

I'm glad I didn't right this book off and gave it a chance because Unearthly has re-ignited my love for angel related novels. And I have found a new favorite author!

Published by: K

No comments:

Post a Comment