Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Review: The Retribution of Mara Dyer by: Michelle Hodkin

The Retribution of Mara Dyer
By: Michelle Hodkin


Series: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer Series
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal
Length: 470 pages
Synopsis From Goodreads:

Mara Dyer wants to believe there's more to the lies she’s been told.
There is.

She doesn’t stop to think about where her quest for the truth might lead.
She should.

She never had to imagine how far she would go for vengeance.
She will now.

Loyalties are betrayed, guilt and innocence tangle, and fate and chance collide in this shocking conclusion to Mara Dyer’s story.

Retribution has arrived.



My Review:

Rating:


This was an absolutely captivating thrill ride! I loved this series from the very beginning. Michelle Hodkin is a phenomenal author and really makes you feel for the characters. I can't thank my best friend enough for introducing me to this series. It has been on my to-read list for over a year and I finally picked up the first book after she surprised me with the entire series. And I am so glad that I finally read these books. 

While book two, The Evolution of Mara Dyer, was not my favorite book in this series. I had a hard time getting into the story and truly it could only be because at the time I was in a bit of a reading funk. But this book was a phenomenal final chapter to an already great series. 

Michelle Hodkin is an amazing writer, she really knows how to develop an amazing and surprising storyline. I had no idea the twists and turns that Mara, Noah and gang were going to go through. I was not prepared for Jamie and Stella to be gifted as well, but I liked getting to know these secondary characters better. It was nice to see Mara interact with someone other than Noah and her brother David. (Even though I enjoyed them both.)

I loved the paranormal twist to this series. When I first started the series I really thought it was just a young adult romance, but I was pleasantly surprised when the paranormal aspect was introduced tuowards the end of book one, The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer. And that David, Noah's father played such a strong role in the outcome of these teenagers lives. 

I enjoyed the flashbacks or genetic memories that Mara experienced. I liked getting to know her grandmother's world and experiencing the life that ultimately lead to Mara's destiny. That was another pleasant surprise. 

This was a remarkable series, and I couldn't have asked for a better ending to an already amazing trilogy. I look forward to reading Michelle Hodkin's future books, she is an amazing author. Very thankful for such a happy ending for everyone involved. If you have not read this series yet, I highly recommend it, you won't be disappointed. 


Published by: K

No comments:

Post a Comment