Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Review: The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey

The 5th Wave
By: Rick Yancey

Genre: Science Fiction, Young Adult
Length: 457 pages

Synopsis From Goodreads:

After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one.

Now, it's the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth's last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker. Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie's only hope for rescuing her brother--or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up.


My Review: 

Rating:

"But if I'm it, the last of my kind, the last page of human history, like hell I'm going to let the story end this way. I may be the last one, but I am the one still standing. I am the one turning to face the faceless hunter in the woods on an abandoned highway. I am the one not running but facing. Because if I am the last one, then I am humanity. And if this is humanity's last war, then I am the battlefield."

OMG...this book was absolutely amazing!! I didn't think I would ever find another extraterrestrial related book that could compare to Jennifer L. Armentrout's Lux Series. But this book is right up there with that series, it had me hooked from the very beginning. I did not want to put the book down for anything. I would find myself reaching for it between calls at work just so I could see what was going to happen next. It had me drawn in from the very first page!! :D 

Rick Yancey is an amazing author, he did an amazing job describing the world Cassie, Ben, Sammy and Evan find themselves in after the Others arrive and begin the Waves that destroyed the planet. As your reading, you find yourself engulfed in the book as if you are really there experiencing the story with the characters. He really had a way of bringing each Wave alive has Cassie described them in the first half of the book. I'm excited to see them brought to live in theaters. 

My soul purpose of starting this book was because the movie was coming to theaters this month. The trailer looked amazing and grabbed my attention instantly!! I knew I just had to read the book before seeing the movie, and this book certainly didn't disappoint. I loved every second of it!! Book two, The Infinite Sea, is already next on my to read list. I can't wait to see what happens in the next installment.  The multiple POV's throughout the book was a major plus for me. It was nice not being stuck following one character around for 457 pages. Sometimes that can get a bit boring, so it was nice switching it up every now and then with a new character. In order to experiencing what they were going through during the 4th Wave. You got to experience Cassie trying to survive in order to save her brother Sammy, as well as Ben struggling to survive boot camp. We even got a little bit of Sammy and Evan's POV's throughout the book!! I am definitely crossing my fingers for more of Evan's POV in book two, he had to be my favorite character in book one; followed closely by Cassie!! ;) 




“I had it all wrong," he says. "Before I found you, I thought the only way to hold on was to find something to live for. It isn't. To hold on, you have to find something you're willing to die for." 

Team Cassie and Evan all the way! I loved reading their scenes even though they were short. I enjoyed reading how their relationship developed and discovering Evan's secrets!! I had a feeling he was one of the Others from the moment he was introduced. They had such cute moments, reading the book only made me more excited for the movie and to see his character develop on the big screen. And to see Cassie and Evan's relationship, that is something I cannot wait for!

However, now that Ben and Cassie are together at the end of book one, I am interested to see where their friendship may whined up. I have a feeling something may develop between them in the second book, and yet I may be wrong. I crossing my fingers for a relationship to develop between Ringer and Ben, they had a strong bond towards the end of book one. 

This is definitely a book to read!! Rick Yancey has done an amazing job developing a world where aliens invade the planet and humans are helpless to do anything, except for a small group of kids ready to fight back to save their home. 


Published by: K 









No comments:

Post a Comment