Sunday, May 1, 2016

Review: Splintered by A.G. Howard

Splintered 
By: A.G. Howard

Genre: Fairytale Retelling
Length: 371 pages 
Synopsis From Goodreads:

This stunning debut captures the grotesque madness of a mystical under-land, as well as a girl’s pangs of first love and independence.

Alyssa Gardner hears the whispers of bugs and flowers—precisely the affliction that landed her mother in a mental hospital years before. This family curse stretches back to her ancestor Alice Liddell, the real-life inspiration for Lewis Carroll’s Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. Alyssa might be crazy, but she manages to keep it together. For now.

When her mother’s mental health takes a turn for the worse, Alyssa learns that what she thought was fiction is based in terrifying reality. The real Wonderland is a place far darker and more twisted than Lewis Carroll ever let on. There, Alyssa must pass a series of tests, including draining an ocean of Alice’s tears, waking the slumbering tea party, and subduing a vicious bandersnatch, to fix Alice’s mistakes and save her family. She must also decide whom to trust: Jeb, her gorgeous best friend and secret crush, or the sexy but suspicious Morpheus, her guide through Wonderland, who may have dark motives of his own.


My Review: 

Rating:

*** Caution Spoilers Ahead ***

I loved this book from beginning to end! I had no desire in putting it down and I just couldn't stopping talking about it to friends and family. This story takes you through the miraculous world of Wonderland! A.G. Howard does an amazing job developing a world that you wish you lived in and characters that you fall in love with. Take Morpheus and Jeb for example, both great characters!

I was literally crying in the end. The way they killed off Morpheus and Jeb in the end and then bring them both back. I honestly didn't know why I was crying. I couldn't figure out whether it was happiness they were alive or sadness that A.G. Howard would do such a thing. I mean honestly what girl wouldn't love both of them and not want either to get hurt or die. I felt as though a part of myself was dying when I read that part of the book. 

But can we just put that aside and talk about something for a moment. Was this honestly a real connection between Jeb and Alyssa?

"Al." His Adam's apple moves as he swallows. "I want you to put a stop to this Hitch thing. Whatever's going on, it's not worth..." He pauses. "Losing an important part of you." Unbelievable. He thinks I'm such a prude, he won't even say the word. "You mean my virginity?" His neck flashes red. "You deserve better than some one-night thing. You're the kind of girl who should have a commitment from a guy who actually cares. Okay?"

Like can we just except the fact that he got all jealous about the entire Hitch thing, just shows how much he cares about her. An uncontrollable love that he would even bleed for her to live! 

I am so excited to start reading book two, Unhinged, thanks to my amazing mom who bought me the rest of the series "just because." I can not wait to see what the future has in story for these amazing characters!  

Published by: C

No comments:

Post a Comment