Thursday, March 12, 2015

Review: The 100 (The Hundred #1) by Kass Morgan

The 100 (The Hundred #1)
By: Kass Morgan

Title: The 100
Author: Kass Morgan
Genre: Dystopian, Young Adult Fiction, Science Fiction
Length: 323 pages

Synopsis From Goodreads:

In the future, humans live in city-like spaceships orbiting far above Earth's toxic atmosphere. No one knows when, or even if, the long-abandoned planet will be habitable again. But faced with dwindling resources and a growing populace, government leaders know they must reclaim their homeland... before it's too late.

Now, one hundred juvenile delinquents are being sent on a high-stakes mission to recolonize Earth. After a brutal crash landing, the teens arrive on a savagely beautiful planet they've only seen from space. Confronting the dangers of this rugged new world, they struggle to form a tentative community. But they're haunted by their past and uncertain about the future. To survive, they must learn to trust - and even love - again.


My Review:

Rating:
 

Wow...I have to say I am surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. From the start I had mixed feelings because I watch the show and absolutely love it. I was slightly worried that it wouldn't live up to the show. 
I usually try to read the book before seeing the film adaptations but I got hooked on the show before I got my hands on a copy of this book, so that didn't quite work out for me. LOL!! 

First I am a huge Bellarke shipper and reading the book only intesified my love for them. AHH....BELLARKE ALL THE WAY!! I am still waiting for the romance to blossom more on the TV show. I enjoyed actually reading about their pasts rather than seeing it portrayed on tv. Granted some of the book is different from the tv show, which in some ways is great because you can explore so many different paths and stories. Most of season one is everything that happened in this book, with some slight changes.

It was reassuring that most of the characters from both the book and the tv show were the same. However, I do wish that Glass and Luke's story had been portrayed in the tv show because their storyline was one of my favorites. Their backstory was interesting and it would have been cool to see it portrayed on tv. 

Wells was never one of my favorite characters in the show and my opinion of him did not change much after reading the book. I found him slightly annoying, however I did find him more interesting in the book than in the show. I felt like he was a stronger character in the books compared to the show. I do look forward to seeing how he grows, since his life span was short on the show. 

It is unusally to see Clarke "the doctor" in the book compared to Clarke "the leader" in the tv show. Hopefully things change throughout the rest of the series. I like the strong leadership role Clarke portrays on the show and would like to see that portrayed in the books.

While the book is quite different from the show in some ways, I still enjoyed it. It's nice sometimes when books are portrayed as tv shows rather than movies because it allows you to explore so many different paths in the story. Sometimes they become better than the books. But I have to say I find that with this book, the show and the book are equally amazing! 

I highly recommend reading this book. It is definitely worth reading! :)


Published by: K


No comments:

Post a Comment