Sunday, August 7, 2016

Review: Nightshade by: Andrea Cremer


Nightshade
By: Andrea Cremer

Genre: Young Adult Paranormal, Werewolf
Length: 452 pages
Series: Nightshade Series

Synopsis From Goodreads:

Calla Tor has always known her destiny: After graduating from the Mountain School, she'll be the mate of sexy alpha wolf Ren Laroche and fight with him, side by side, ruling their pack and guarding sacred sites for the Keepers. But when she violates her masters' laws by saving a beautiful human boy out for a hike, Calla begins to question her fate, her existence, and the very essence of the world she has known. 

By following her heart, she might lose everything- including her own life. Is forbidden love worth the ultimate sacrifice?


My Review:

Rating:

I was so excited to start this book, it had so much potential. And after reading the reviews on Goodreads and seeing the 4.5 star rating I had very high hopes for an excellent story. However, I was sadly disappointed. This book was another Buddy Read with Erika (from Maniacal Reader). 
I had a hard time getting into this book, it took me forever to sit down and really want to read this book. I could never really follow the plot of the story or where the story was headed, and yet at the same time the ending was a bit predictable. The story never really pulled me in. The storyline didn't really pick up until the last few chapters.
Also, I found Calla, the main character to be a bit dull and whiny. I enjoy reading books with strong female leads that act as role models for young girls. She was always second guessing her discussions and whining to Shay about how she can't go around breaking rules. I found alot of her and Shay's arguments to be repeditive. I was hoping for a more developed group of characters and a much stronger storyline. 
The romance was also something I just could not get on board with. Insta-love is not something I look forward to reading and that is exactly what you got from page one. This book focused mostly on the romance. Shay the soulmate you should love was anything but heartthrob-worthy, he was just as whiny and dull as Calla. He was also very pushy and constantly fawning over Calla. Yet, Ren, the alpha male wasn't much better.
I may of loved this book if I had read it when it was first released. When I was still in my Twilight phase. So my lack of falling in love with this book may be partly contributed to the timing and my lack of interest in Paranormal books lately. I haven't read many Vampire and Werewolf books in the recent years.
I may one day finish the series, only because I hate to leave a series unfinished, however it may be some time before I get back around to this series.


Published by: K


No comments:

Post a Comment