Thursday, February 26, 2015

Leviathan Review

Leviathan
By: Scott Westerfeld


Genre: Alternative History, Steampunk, Historical Fiction
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Length: 440 pages


 
Synopsis From Goodreads:


Prince Aleksander, would-be heir to the Austro-Hungarian throne, is on the run. His own people have turned on him. His title is worthless. All he has is a battletorn war machine and a loyal crew of men.


Deryn Sharp is a commoner, disguised as a boy in the British Air Service. She's a brilliant airman. But her secret is in constant danger of being discovered.



With World War I brewing, Alek and Deryn's paths cross in the most unexpected way…taking them on a fantastical, around-the-world adventure that will change both their lives forever.



My Review:

My Rating: 
3 star rating


This book was quite interesting. Scott Westerfeld did an amazing job developing a steampunk world filled with battles and fascinating  creatures. The illustrations provided by Keith Thompson really brought the story together and made it easier to picture the creatures that Westerfeld was describing. I loved the Clanker and Darwinist names and their language. They were both so different, it brought the story together.

I loved reading from both Deryn and Alek's point of views, witnessing the moment they finally meet after a month of wandering the land and sky. The moment they finally met wasn't as epic as I had hoped it would be. But watching them work together was interesting. 

It did take me quite some time to get into this book. It started out a bit slow and I am new to the steampunk world. I'm not to sure if steampunk is my favorite genre. However, the book did pick up and I found myself liking it more as the book went on. I still plan on reading the rest of the series. I have to see what happens with Alek and Deryn. 


Published by: K





No comments:

Post a Comment