Wednesday, February 4, 2015

The Elite (The Selection #2) Review



The Elite by: Kiera Cass



Synopsis From Goodreads:

The Selection began with thirty-five girls.
Now with the group narrowed down to the six Elite, the competition to win Prince Maxon's heart is fiercer than ever—and America is still struggling to decide where her heart truly lies. Is it with Maxon, who could make her life a fairy tale? Or with her first love, Aspen?

America is desperate for more time. But the rest of the Elite know exactly what they want—and America's chance to choose is about to slip away.

My Review:

4.5 Star Rating 


I know I'm a little late on the bandwagon but better late then never right? 

And I must say I am truly glad I started reading this series because Keira Cass is an amazing writer. I had the opportuinty to meet her at YALLfest 2014 and after meeting her I knew I had to start reading her books. And I'm glad I did because they are amazing. I breezed through The Selection like it was nothing.

Often when it comes to sequels they don't measure up to the first, however Kiera Cass did an amazing job making this sequel just as good as the first. While it took me sometime to get back into the story (it's been a while since reading The Selection) once I did, I didn't want to put it down.

"Love is beautiful fear."

I felt this line captivated the total essence of the book. Throughout the story both America and Maxon are questioning whether the other truly loves them and yet when they find those rare moments of happiness it is a beautiful moment. They fight and argue often throughout the book but in the end they always find a way back to the bond they share. It's always nice reading a book where there isn't "instant love." America is actually conflicted about her feelings like a normal teenager would be. 

She's constantly making rash decisions but I actually like that about her. She is standing up for what she believes is right. It's nice seeing all these strong female roles in YA books these days. And I believe America Singer is a great example of that. 

It was also great how Kiera introduced Gregory Illea into the story. I had really hoped he was going to be a good guy. :( Even though it was nice to get more background on how the country and castes were formed. I really hope that we get more Illea history in the next book, plus I can't wait to see who America chooses in the end.

Overall I believe this is a definite read for anyone looking for a good story. Kiera Cass has done an amazing job developing these characters and building an amazing world of kings and queens. I will definitely be reccommending this series to friends and family.


Published by: K

No comments:

Post a Comment